Sunday, November 1, 2009

Americanized

Just because something is Americanized, doesn't mean it loses it's value? Isn't it supposed to add to that worth?

Why does my professor look down upon the "Americanized" story of an Indian family? He was born here. He lived other places, he more than anyone should know that the Indian family are not Americanized, but are Americans. Their parents weren't born here, but their children were. Much as I am to my family, to my culture. Hispanics see me as Americanized. I am not Americanized. I am American with a Hispanic background. Americans are defined by the fact that they have Blue eyes, and that blond hair. But they forget, everyone forgets when it comes to the caucausians, that Americans aren't that. Americans are undefinable. Because I am American, anyone born here or raise here, are Americans. No matter what the cultural background is.

1 comment:

  1. WORD. And even the blond-haired blue-eyed people are Americans with a German (or just European) background! It may not be as close of a generation that immigrated to America, such as your parents, but that background is still there.

    ReplyDelete