Thursday, November 5, 2009

My twitfacespacebloggertube:


My twitfacespacebloggertube.
Current mood: happy
Category: Life


I'm done. I don't watch TV because I don't want to spend hours of watching sitcoms, news, cartoons. But then I realized that while I'm not doing that, instead what I am doing is being on the computer. I'm doing the exact same thing, but only with a keyboard in front of me instead of a remote. My facebook has become my sitcom. Myspace my news. My twitter, my cartoons on TV. My yahoo messenger has become the white noise that has become my life.
I was sitting here, thinking about Nanowrimo, because it is November, the month for words. Nanowrimo being the challenge to self to write 50000 words in one month. I was wondering at myself, how did I write a 379 page novel back in high school in a few months out of my junior year, when now I don't even have the time to type out my work in progress which is mostly handwritten. It wasn't that I had more time back then, I still had responsibilities. It was because I didn't have networks. I only had me, my novel, and whatever I was reading at the time.
I see the irony in blogging about this but that's okay. I'm done, at least for now. I don't know how long this period of shunning the need to be available 24/7 will last. The need to network, and to expand the connections, it's there, and I choose not to be. I've seen drama, have been a victim of pettiness on social pages, and even the majority of the time everyone plays nice. Mostly everyone posts funny quirks about their day, links, cute pictures, hilarious videos, and I laugh too, but have the bonds of friendships and connecting really tie into the fact that we got the same result on that user generated quiz? Or is the flow of the status and mood updates? What about texting? Is it necessary to text every location, every activity? Whatever happen to the value of privacy? To be a mimetic (imitation, mimcry) of Palahniuk: 'I am not my social network page. I am not my internet. I am not my cell phone.'
My schoolwork needs me. There are novels I need to read and find out what they are about. They are movies that I need to watch with my family and friends. Jewelry to be modified and shower caps to be crochet. There is life waiting for me outside this chair. If you want to reach me still, my cell phone is that. I can't delete that so easily.
But give your fingers a break and surprise me by calling me. Say hello, it's me. Got a minute to talk? Call your people instead of just texting. I'm sure most would be delighted to hear a voice, and the tone, the emotions behind that, and find not just another emotioncon on their phone. So call me. Leave me a voice mail if I don't answer because I do turn off my phone sometimes, (during class for example, have some respect people! It annoys me to see you facebooking via phone during class!). And maybe you should too.
If you need my phone number; message me, I'll get back to you, just because I'll be gone doesn't mean I won't check if someone reaches out. I know I will be eating my words because I always come back to my webs eventually due to one update or another. Which is why despite the urge to just delete all traces of myself online, I don't.
But for now: My book needs me. I'm gone. Bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment